[juneau-lug] Re: Interesting read from /.

  • From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:52:30 -0900

I can relate to that.  One of the reasons I think that Novell might breathe
some fresh air into the works - despite their tragic loss of market share to
MS, they come from a customer driven point of view and understand the
importance of good docs, and limited "surprises" during an install.
Hopefully it'll raise the bar a bit.  On the other hand, most *nix distros
will continue to be maintained by geeks who will be slow to really focus on
the interface rather than back end functionality.  Can't blame 'em, and many
are just doing it for 'glory' so I'm hesitant to look a gift horse in the
mouth.

Over time I expect some maturity to happen, as more large companies
underwrite the critical components of the system like printing, allowing the
programmers to go the extra mile in producing top quaility systems.  But
it's gonna take some time.  And if it doesn't happen, well, I'm gonna retire
sooner or later and can then focus on more crucial matters like where are
the cohos hitting best?

S'later...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500