[juneau-lug] Re: Indigo give-away

  • From: Nels Tomlinson <nelstomlinson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:33:57 -0800

Hi, James,

Since I wanted an SGI for a long time, I was keeping an eye out for
operating systems for them.  They're almost as bad as Microvaxes and
PDP-11s for available OSs.

Last time I looked, Indys were supported by Linux, but _not_ Indigos.
  That still seems to be the case, going by the links you gave.  In
particular, look here: http://www.linux-mips.org/hardware.html .

They say:

Silicon Graphics Indigo

This machine is only being mentioned here because people have
occasionally confused it with Indys or the Indigo 2. The Indigo is a
different R3000-based architecture however, and is yet unsupported.

NetBSD claims that the Indigo R4x00 _is_ supported.  Hopefully, they do
have support for the video card in Xfree; that's another sticky point in
Linux.

If the old beast still has Irix on it, I'd leave well enough alone, I think.

Nels