[juneau-lug] Re: I Really mean DOS

  • From: "Zachary Family" <dzachary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:02:55 -0800

| Any particular reason why you're running true DOS instead of a DOS
| emulator under Linux (or any *nix)?  That would solve quite a few
| problems immediately.
|
| http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DOSEMU-HOWTO.html

1. I'm using the Technojock Turbo Toolkit -- a shareware kit for Turbo
Pascal.  It writes directly to the screen on PC's for faster screen
routines.  Does most of the screen handling, scrolling windows, menus,
virtual screens, menus, linked lists.  Very helpful.  The screen routines
did not port to Dosemu.  I got really strange displays.

2. there are no linux drivers for the sound cards (although the company has
promised to provide enough documentation that I could write my own).  It's
been awhile in coming and not their top priority.  They have no plans to
write a linux drivers.

3. Most of my machines only have 4 meg of ram in them.  I believe that would
take a scaled down version of linux to get them to work with dosemu  (maybe
I'm mistaken here), and I probably need a bunch of basic linux experience
prior to tackling the more advanced project.

4. Most of my programs use extensive use of serial ports for remote
terminals and communicating with various pieces of audio equipment, so I
would also need to become proficient in serial port manipulations beyond the
simple.  I have a number of multi-port serial cards that share a single
interrupt so that I can get four or eight serial ports in a single computer
on one or two interrupts.,

5. I'm using a 168 bit parallel port card which simulates interrupts to
respond to external relay closure events.  This card only has a DOS driver
for it.

I suppose that I could write linux drivers for all this stuff, but I would
probably be on my own.  It's already working in DOS -- It likely would not
generate any revenue to pay for all the effort invested.  thus, it would be
a spare time project.

Dan