[juneau-lug] Re: I Really mean DOS

  • From: James Zuelow <jfzuelow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 10:33:22 -0800 (AKDT)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:14:27 -0800 Zachary Family <dzachary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I really mean DOS.  Yes, there are people in the world who still work at the
> DOS prompt and resist the world of WINDOWS.

Don't bring up that command prompt stuff in a Linux group.  Linux
users *never* use the command line.  ;)

Any particular reason why you're running true DOS instead of a DOS
emulator under Linux (or any *nix)?  That would solve quite a few
problems immediately.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DOSEMU-HOWTO.html

If you can run Duke Nukem 3D with dosemu, you can run anything. In
fact, I'm going to install dosemu just so that I can test DukeNukem3d
out!  (It crashes regularly in Win98 DOS mode, when you're in the
sewers under the pool hall. . .) Then you'll have your DOS programs
running just about as fast, but you'll also have a modern multi-tasking
operating system available.

> So, anyway.  I have a number of DOS ONLY computers that are our workhorses.
> I would like to be able to store the data (sound files) on a LINUX server.
> That takes SAMBA to make it work.
>
> At this point in time, I have been able to get SAMBA working to the point
> that Win 98 machines are able to see Linux and Linux is able to see the Win
> 98 machines on the network.
>
> I have a few Win 3.11 machines (no win 95), and a whole bunch of DOS ONLY
> machines.  When you run DOS on a pentium machine the programs really scream
> along!!!!! Lightening fast!
>
> Dan

Are you using MS Client 3.0 for DOS to get SMB connectivity?  I did a
quick Google search and didn't find any major issues except with one
person who was attempting to run both the DOS SMB client, and a DOS
Netware client at the same time.  You should have support for
everything but Wins via DNS and DNS via Wins (which I've always
thought was strange anyway.  It's like calling directory assistance to
tell you which page of the telephone book you can find the number on).

I did a search for the client using Google - but every link to
Microsoft's site returned a 404 error, exept the download site for the
Win3.11 client, but the readme says that client is distributed with
Win3.11, so you should have it already.

I did find a download site for the DOS client at

http://www.idp.net/freesoft/netclient.asp

but they want you to register first.

And of course, SMB is not your only choice for DOS/Windows-*nix
communications.  There's this link to a fairly pricey NFS package:

http://www.xlink.com/

Since this is a production environment and not your home system, I
would suggest making sure that you've got your DOS SMB client set up
correctly first.  Good luck finding working links on Microsoft's site
if you don't have paper documentation down there.

The second option is to convert your DOS machines to Linux, and run
dosemu.  If they were my systems, that is what I would do - Linux
gives you several advantages over plain DOS, and AFAIK the emulation
doesn't slow things down by much (if at all).

The xlinx NFS stuff is available if you have too much money and need
to spend some.