[juneau-lug] Re: How to repair sudo?

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 06:56:26 -0800

On Wednesday, April 08, 2015 06:45:29 Nels Tomlinson wrote:
> Here, between the equals signs, are the contents of the file.  Henrik, I
> have attached the actual file again, also.  This is the old file, from
> before I changed the sudo line to read sudo=(ALL) ALL.
> Do I need a % in front of sudo?  It seems odd that visudo didn't complain,
> if that's a problem.

sudo is syntactically correct, so visudo won't complain.  However it will
break the config.

sudo == a user named sudo.

%sudo == all members of the sudo group.

If I have been following the thread correctly there are two issues:

Your admin group is actually named adm, and adm is not in your sudoers file.

Your sudo entry is missing the group identifier.

With this version of the sudoers file I would fix those errors (assuming I'm
remembering the adm/admin thing correctly).

Also, one of the first things I do on an Ubuntu box is:

sudo su -
passwd

That way you don't have to reboot to single-user mode if sudo breaks.

(Of course I'm a Debian user, so to me using root is Just How It Works)