[juneau-lug] Re: How to repair sudo?

  • From: Mark Neyhart <Mark.Neyhart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 10:14:19 -0800

On 04/07/2015 09:56 AM, Nels Tomlinson wrote:
> Somehow I messed up sudo on a new computer preloaded with Kubuntu 14.04.
> It was a few weeks ago, and I didn't keep any notes on what I did, but I
> was trying to add my daughter's account to the sudoers list, and somehow no
> accounts are on the sudoers list any more.
> Both accounts are in the adm and sudo groups.  I have tried following the
> instructions at
> https://sites.google.com/site/installationubuntu/security/fix-sudo-ers-file
> but my sudoers file looks like the one there.
>
> I would attach the sudoers file, but I don't have access to it unless I
> boot to single user mode.
>
> I have the lines
> root    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
>
> %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> %sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
> exactly as they appear in the link I mentioned above.

I see nothing obviously wrong with these lines.

While logged in with your daughters account does the output of the
groups command show her as member of sudo and admin?

Have you checked the permissions of the /etc/sudoers file?  My debian
machine shows
# ls -l sudoers
-r--r----- 1 root root 787 2015-02-05 11:53 sudoers

Is there anything of interest in the /var/log/auth.log?