[juneau-lug] Hardware RAID Under RH or Similar Distro

  • From: eastwind <eastwind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:18:35 -0900

Hi Folks.

I have a Mylex DAC960P hardware RAID card and some appropriate drives.
Don't have the battery backup card...but I can work around that.
Confirmed the firmware revision levels - all is good in that department.
I can find plenty of how-to's on the subject, but none of them
really seem to answer my questions so I'm hoping there's a guru here.

I'm gonna stripe for speed. Could care less about redundancy, though
there will be a spare drive in the stripe in case of a 1 drive failure.

Can one boot from a stripe? Or do you still need a seperate boot volume?
Boot from a floppy then go to the stripe for / partition and everything e=
lse?

The box has 1.8GB of ram...and it hardly ever swaps.
It takes a good week to 10 days before it starts swapping.

So with speed in mind....would you put the /usr partition
on the stripe since that's where alot of programs are that will
get loaded?

I'm not doing video or other graphics stuff.

What's the prevailing wisdom about partition lineup with
a striped RAID in mind?

I'm open to a little mirroring but speed is my primary concern.

I can get more 9GB drives from ebay if mirroring
the stripe is the way to go.

Ciao!