[juneau-lug] Re: Generic NIC

  • From: jfzuelow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 22:50:30 GMT

Dan,
    Look at the chips on the card, especially the big controller chip (should
be one of the largest).  Do a google for the chip number (say DEC21140).  You
might have to do a little detective work with any silkscreened numbers/letters
on the card (look at the other side too).  It took me most of an afternoon to
find out what an old ISA card of mine was - a Longshine something or other.  I
was googling for chip numbers in combination with various things silkscreened
on the card when I happened on a web site that had the same logo as the card
did.  From there I could identify the card and find the DOS configuration
utility (no jumpers).  All in all, your best bet is google.  You might have
better luck with www.google.com/linux or www.google.com/bsd - they seem to have
more hits on chip numbers.  However the Longshine hit was on the main google
site and didn't show on a Linux search.

How's that for a non-committal I-don't-know-go-ask-someone-else answer for you?

James Zuelow