[juneau-lug] Re: Garmin Etrex GPS

  • From: "Kevin Miller" <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:18:07 -0800

chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Kevin,
>=20
> I have an eTrex that works just fine with Fedora. I had to get a
> PCMCIA serial adapter for my laptop. Kind of clunky, but it works. I
> use Quantum GIS to download/upload the gps data. =20
>=20
> The eTrex is a bit slow on aquiring sats. It can be fairly accurate
> if you can track a WAAS sat. I got the 3m accuracy while I was down
> south. Haven't used it much around here. Would like to get one with a
> better antenna, though.  =20
>=20
> Great price if you just want to tinker around with GPS....

Is it the yellow one?  There's several flavorss of the Etrex out.  The
specs on the web page say it is waas enabled, but only show 15 meter
accuracy.  Not sure if the web page is just out of date or what.  What
good is waas if it's not enabled?  I definitely want the 3 meter target.
Was out setting crab pots and we'd be in 325' of water on second, then
in 485'.  Must be a pretty major cliff down there.  Anyway, it is easy
to drift off the hole and back into shallow water in just a matter of a
few meters.

...Kevin
--=20
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500