[juneau-lug] Re: Garmin Etrex GPS

  • From: <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:50:43 -0800

Kevin,

I have an eTrex that works just fine with Fedora. I had to get a PCMCIA serial
adapter for my laptop. Kind of clunky, but it works. I use Quantum GIS to
download/upload the gps data.

The eTrex is a bit slow on aquiring sats. It can be fairly accurate if you can
track a WAAS sat. I got the 3m accuracy while I was down south. Haven't used it
much around here. Would like to get one with a better antenna, though.

Great price if you just want to tinker around with GPS....