[juneau-lug] Re: GPS programs

  • From: Kevin Miller <millerboys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:46:30 -0900

Chuck Hakari wrote:
> I have a Garmin Legend, though, when I come up with some extra cash, I'm
> going to buy something like the GPSMap60. It has a better antenna, can
> handle more waypoint and track points, and has maps. I use QGIS to
> download/upload from/to my GPS. I only needed GPSBabel before QGIS had
> on-the-fly projection.
>
>> I bought a Garmin GPS because it was main stream and because I got a
>> discount.  Mostly I use GPSPOINT for uploading and downloading data.
>> And GPSDrive for mapping.  Someone else (Chuck H?  Nels T?) also
>> recommended GPSBabel for data manipulation but I never got it to compile
>> correctly.  My Garmin eTrex Legend will also talk nicely with
>> NetStumbler and Kismet and even MS Streets and Maps.
>>
>> Lots to look at: http://freegis.org/database/?cat=0
>> I suspect a lot of progress has been made since I surveyed things a
>> couple of years ago.
>>
>> Also of interest is the Sept 04 Linux Journal article: GPS Toolkit
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7467
>> Lots of fun to be had.

Since we're perenially short on topics (or seem to be online anyway, I
keep spacing out the meetings!) maybe sometime before boating season we
can get Chuck and Jamie, et. al. to do a GPS shootout and compare
features between GPSDrive, QGIS, etc.

This is the year that I'm going to get those halibut holes pegged.  Yup,
that's the plan...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller