[juneau-lug] [Fwd: Sandalfoot questions]

  • From: Jamie <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JLUG <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:38:37 -0900

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Sandalfoot questions
Date:   Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:07:33 -0800
From:   Robin Callender <robin_callender@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,

Wow, I have been looking for people interested in Sandalfoot's for some
time!

I worked for IBM as a Software Engineer at Kirkland WA (near Microsoft's
Redmond site) on the port of WindowsNT 3.51 and 4.0 to the PowerPC.
The Sandalfoot was our initial development platform.
I ported WindowsNT networking to the IBM PowerPC systems: Sandalfoot,
Carolines, and the PPC thinkpads.
I still have one of the machines which I worked on.

This Sandalfoot has been sitting in my home office since I left IBM
about 5 years ago.
Currently it has AIX 3.something-or-another on it.  I just don't care
for AIX that much.
I sure would like to install the Debian linux on it and get it back into
some kind of service.
Has anyone attempted to get a recent Ubuntu release installed on a
Sandalfoot?
A long time ago (circa 1999), I attempted to install LinuxPPC from
YellowDog (I believe), but this early version was too unstable.

I am download the CD 0.4.5 iso image and will attempt to as soon as I can.

Great site with good info.

Thanks
Robin Callender.