[juneau-lug] Re: Forwarding message

  • From: <james.zuelow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 03:33:20 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, February 28, 2005 7:13 pm
Subject: [juneau-lug] Forwarding message

> Forwarding this on for James' wife, Anjela:

> hello,
> I'm wondering if I could hire the expertise & skills of a LUG
> member to sort
> out a reluctant software modem & to assist with burning a video file
> (created in Kino) to DVD- some problem with the XML file, it says.
>
> my contact info:
> Anjela Johnston
> h 790-6524
> w 586-0267
> or via this email address (Anjela_Johnston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
>
> thank you very much!
> Anjela
>

> ...Kevin

Anjela can su to root with her password via sudo ( sudo su )

The modem is an HCF PCI modem, with the paid driver from here:
http://www.linuxant.com
The driver SOMETIMES fails to load.
Debian 3.1, current as of 31 December 2004 (if the modem isn't working, then it
probably hasn't been able to update itself).  PPP is running with demand dial
set up, but the software modem driver has to be running for pppd to dial out.

Dunno about the DVD burning glitch.  I wrote a script to help automate some of
the steps, probably gaffed that as I wrote it the day before leaving Alaska,
and tested it just once.  Check the disk space in /data/DVD - the script cleans
up after itself, but if it is bombing out prematurely it might not get to that
step.

Sadly I can't just ssh in and fix things w/o my cable modem & static IP...

(Anyway, if you're curious - our little part of Baghdad is pretty quiet so far.
 We mostly just do patrols looking around, and I'm on the night shift so it's
even quieter for me.  We're 12 hours off from Alaska, so I'm up when you're up!
 And for Kevin - the importation of sand and/or soils from the middle east is
prohibited by those nice people in customs, so I can't mail you sand from
Babylon.)