[juneau-lug] Re: Floppy drive

  • From: "James Zuelow" <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Martin Powers" <mtpowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:44:58 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Powers" <mtpowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "James Zuelow" <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 5:07 AM
Subject: Floppy drive

> Hi James
> I did what you said and it told me that the device already exist's. Ls -l
> output was
> lr-xr-xr-x     1root      root           13 June10 04:42 fd0u1040
>                                 "
>                                 "
>  all the way through to 1920.

I haven't used Mandrake before, and I know that Mandrake 8.1 uses devfs by
default.  Simple test:  as root try /sbin/devfsd and see if for some reason
the devfs daemon isn't starting up.  The devfs daemon should be creating all
of the device files in /dev automatically - unless you chose not to use
devfs when you installed Mandrake.  If the devfs daemon *is* starting up,
try turning it off.  Turning off devfs seems to have resolved quite a few
unusual problems with Mandrake 8.1.  Take a look here for some hints:
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1351&lang=en

If it turns out that turning on and/or off devfs doesn't fix it, we can
replace your existing /dev/fd* "devices" (if you look closely at your ls -l
output, you'll see that your "devices" are links, where mine are real block
devices.  You need to find out where the links are pointing to, and why they
don't have write permission set.)  It is a simple script to move your
existing links out of the way and create the devices with mknod.  But given
the posts in the link above, I would guess that it is a devfs problem.

Maybe a Mandrake user on the list can let us know if the devfs issues have
gone away with Mandrake 8.2.