[juneau-lug] FC6 upgrade report

  • From: Chuck Hakari <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juneau LUG <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:09:30 -0800

Decided to try the upgrade of my T41 laptop to FC6. Everything appears
to be working. Did have to disable a couple of repos and update yumex
with yum from the commandline. Looks like there are quite a few updates
available from Extras, so tomorrow I'll take care of them. BTW, the new
version of yumex works a lot faster, as does  yum itself.

Haven't done much with it yet, but I does seem much faster. I'm using
KDE and the apps open much quicker than under FC5. Java is working.
Celestia, which is an opengl app, is really smooth and fast on the xorg
driver. I've opened Blender, also opengl, but I haven't done anything
with it yet to check the performance, but if it is like Celestia, it
should be awesome.

Guess that's it for now. I need to backup my desktop system before
trying the upgrade on it. Will let you know how that one goes.

Chuck Hakari