[juneau-lug] FC5 upgrade notes

  • From: Chuck Hakari <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juneau LUG <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:28:31 -0900

Hi, all.

I have two systems from FC4 to FC5. The upgrade process on both systems
went flawlessly, though they took about 2hrs. each to complete. Both
systems had workstation installs, so there were a lot of packages to
upgrade.

After the upgrade from the disks, I had to download and install upgraded
kernel and kernel-devel packages so I could build and install the nvidia
driver. The driver wouldn't build, though, until I downloaded a patch
from nvidia.

I had a problem launching some of my Java apps, so I installed the
latest JRE, but that didn't help. I ended up doing a mod to the
executables to get them to work.

I am having problems with a few other apps that can't find shared libs.
I uninstalled the latest k3b I had for FC4, and installed an older
version that came with FC5 and now it works. Not sure what to do about
the others. Maybe updated FC5 packages will become available, or I can
build my own. There have been loads of upgrades from the yum repos, so I
may wait awhile and see what happens.

Almost forgot: yumex wasn't part of the upgrade. I had to install that
upgrade on my own. Can't believe they didn't include it on the disks!

I guess this kind of stuff is the price you pay for being on the
bleeding edge. At least BZFlag works (after using yum to upgrade), so I
can clam my nerves with a few tank kills!

Chuck Hakari