[juneau-lug] F10

  • From: Chuck Hakari <chakari@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juneau LUG <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 23:13:31 -0900

I had a successful download and did an install on a new 500 gb WD hd.
Took only about 35 mins. to do the complete install, and that included
KDE and the developement packages on top of the default install, which
has GTK and all the Gnome packages.

I only tinkered around with it a little, but it seems really fast
compared to my F7 install. Of course, it could be the differences in the
hd's. F7 is on a 320 gb WD (I think) hd.

The login screen (GDM, I think) is a bit different in that you don't get
to select a session until you click on a user, then a panel pops up on
the bottom of the screen. I didn't notice this at first, so I was logged
into Gnome trying to find the switchdesk utility (which isn't really
needed), before firing up Firefox 3 and searching fedoraforum.org for
the answer. After backing out of Gnome and selecting KDE from the panel,
KDE is now my default.

KDE does seem to be following Windoze a bit on letting you know
everything that is going on. I need to disable this behavior asap!

The default KDE menu is a bit different. I probably can get it config'd
to my liking, but for now I have it set to look like the 3.x menu,
though on my F7 KDE install, I use Tasty Menu ( I know, I too, wish they
would have chosen another name!)

I haven't done much beyond this. I accepted the default partitioning
scheme during install, so I still don't have a /home or /data partition
to make future upgrades easier. I'm going to reinstall F10 after I come
up with a good partitioning scheme and figure out the best way to
transfer all my data across to the new drive, or figure out how to use
LVM to add my old drive to a volume group.

So, if you would like the F10 DVD, let me know. I also have the F10 KDE
Live-CD that can be installed to the hd.

Chuck