[juneau-lug] Re: Debian/OpenBSD PowerPC

  • From: Justin Burket <zorton@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 02:38:51 -0400 (EDT)

I went through about the same thing when I tried installing linux on my
powerbook.  The short answer is if you have an old world machine you will
have to boot it using a mac os extension called BootX (if memory serves
correctly).  BootX is kinda tempermental and isn't being supported any
more.  There is also a bootloaded called quik or something similar for
"oldworld" machines.

The most helpfull page i've seen regarding powerPC boot ROMS is at:
http://netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html

And here is the funky part, i've managed to get the newworld loaders to
boot on old world machines but with quite a few quirks.  I think ya-boot
dosen't support it because of the weirdness in all the oldworld machines
and various bugs that where stomped out in open firmware 3

Justin