[juneau-lug] Debian/OpenBSD PowerPC

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:23:36 -0800 (AKDT)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Jacob Gemmell wrote:

> Any ideas for presntations?  If you can bring in a distro, I have a Power
> Macintosh G3 that needs a decent OS.  I haven't been able to boot off a CD
> yet.  Maybe you can give me a hand.  Its one if those all in one
> monstrosites with the integrated monitor.

It is a G3?  Like a 5x00 with a G3 upgrade, or an iMac?  There is a big
difference between the beige PowerMacs and the candy colored ones.

I'll bring my PowerPC kit - I've got a CD for partitioning the drive,
installing 7.5.3/5, and Debian's 3.0 PowerPC CD.

If it is an iMac, it probably won't install 7.5.3.  We'll see if we can't
boot Debian, and I'll bring along OpenBSD 3.2 just in case as that CD is
bootable on candy colored Macs.

If it is a beige all in one, it will probably take 7.5.3 - which is good,
since Apple gives away 7.5.3 at no charge on their ftp site. The beige
Macs like to have a minimal Mac OS install to boot into Linux.