[juneau-lug] Dead Averatec 6110-EH1 (Uniwill 255/259)

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:39:59 -0800

I have an Averatec 6110-EH1 that I think is having a BIOS issue.

It won't boot - the fan comes on, the CD spins up and identifies any CD in the
drive, then it just sits.  No LCD activity, just a black screen.  No HDD
activity that I can hear or feel.  No USB (a USB drive inserted never 'lights
up' - however I don't think the one I was using actually does this until it is
mounted).

This laptop is the same as a Uniwill 255 or 259.  Hard to tell which model is
the exact match, as they are very similar.

It has an AMI BIOS chip soldered to the motherboard, not one of the replaceable
ones -- which is too bad, since I found a few places where I can order
replacement BIOS chips.

Anyone know of a method to re-flash the BIOS on this thing?  I tried making a
DOS boot CD with the flash utility on it as suggested on a variety of sites,
but it doesn't seem to do anything beyond recognizing that a CD is inserted.
However the instructions I found are pretty vague, so I may not have the exact
configuration correct.

It is out of warranty, and although I have contacted Averatec about reflashing
it I haven't heard back from them.

Note:  This happened after I attempted a re-install of Windows XP Home.
Everything working fine in the morning, except Windows would not boot since I
deleted the Phoenix recovery partition.  So I attempt a re-install from CD.
When it gets to the "Windows will now reboot" stage, it is dead.  Things that
make you go hmm....  (I did pull the drive and put it into another laptop.  I
had to re-install GRUB of course, but after that everything is hunky dory with
the drive itself.  The problem is definately with the laptop and not the drive.