[juneau-lug] Re: Consumer Broadband and Digital TelevisionPromotion Act of 2002

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:57:26 -0900 (AKST)

Here's a snippet from the online Wired Magazine article that I missed
before:

"One bright spot for free software advocates: Any software that
implements the standards must be "based on open source code." Hardware
copy-protection schemes can remain proprietary."

That makes me wonder how it's supposed to work for software.  Any
open-source copy protection scheme had better be absolutely bullet-proof.
Every 13 year old kid who doesn't want to pay $35 for a DVD will be all
over that code.

I'm assuming that the quote is saying that the bill will require the
copy protection scheme itself to be open-source, not that all software
using the copy protection scheme will be open-source.  Sadly the text of
the bill isn't up yet, so I don't know what exactly has been changed from
the text of the SSSCA draft.