[juneau-lug] Re: Consumer Broadband and Digital TelevisionPromotion Act of 2002

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:39:12 -0900 (AKST)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, JBarber wrote:

> Tom,
>      I didn't think about the Motion Picture industry.  There are great
> strides in Linux apps and the OS for 3D animation.  ILM is a driving force
> in that venue.  A lot of power there.  I would think that IBM would also be
> an able adversary, not to mention SUN and RedHat.  At least it's not totally
> hopeless.  -Jim

The motion picture people should be kind of split on this one - they rely
on the tools, but want control of the end product.  Of course, they can
afford to pay for a closed-source version of the tools they are using
now.

Even the GPL allows closed-source modifications as long as they are not
distributed, and source only needs to be given to people who receive the
modifications - so Hollywood could modify 3D software and just keep the
copyright protection stuff to themselves as long as they didn't sell to
the general public.

As long as development continues outside the US, they can have their cake
and eat it too by creating a private fork of new tools with the copyright
code included.

We're going to have to rely on companies like IBM and Intel to start
showing job-loss figures for the US tech sector.  I doubt Stevens cares
much about letters from us, but economic data showing what would happen to
the tech sector might make an impact.

I guess it's time to start going to those Republican Party dinners and
asking these kinds of questions.