[juneau-lug] Re: CTL 195UW monitors at Fred's

  • From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:58:53 -0800

On Sunday 08 July 2007 14:27, deadcats wrote:
> Bought one of the Hanns-G 22" widescreens a couple weeks ago. Nice price,
> too. :)
> Had the same problem; needed to add a modeline to xorg.conf. But that took
> care of the problem.
>
> Had some nasty-looking fonts as a result of the monitor change. They
> wouldn't conform to 96 x 96 dpi, even using the "force" option in KDE
> Control Center. Googled it, and adding these two lines to xorg.conf under
> the "Device" section got that straightened out:
>
> Option "UseEdidDpi" "False"
> Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
>

> Good to hear from you, James! :)
>
> regards,
> -dc

LCD's not attached to a laptop can be a pain!

The modeline I used yesterday was OK for 16 bit color depth, but it made the
monitor shift left or right whenever X was restarted (i.e. login, logout) in
24 bit color.  That modeline was generated here:

http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

Since I won't be around for a while and thought making my kids hit auto adjust
all the time was a hassle I poked around the manual and came up with this
new, improved modeline:

Modeline "1440x900" 136.75 1440 1536 1688 1936 900 903 909 942 -HSync +VSync

This syncs well at 24 bit, 75MHz refresh, and the display is very stable.  All
of the information for the modeline is in a chart on the last few pages of
the monitor's manual, but you have to do some math.  I found instructions
here:

http://www.knowplace.org/pages/howtos/xfree86_modelines_conversion_guide.php