[juneau-lug] Re: Boot-Camp (was: Ties with UAS-Gaming)

  • From: Clay Robidoux <loki@xxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:05:14 -0800

Like anything else, since the U is 100% windoze thaz what most of us use on
a daily basis.  Several of us play with linux, but don't really have the
time to explore much beyond compiling new software.  Evolution (for RH 8+)
for a mail client is very easy, simple to use and it works so most of us
havn't bothered with learning postfix or anything else.  The default tools
in RH seem to work (tho grip is better for cd burning), since most of us
just need to browse the web, use open office to write up our homework, or vi
(emacs) when we code.

I know 3 students in the java programming class (myself included) that are
doing all of our java work on RH 9, like I said earlier the UASGC webmaster
has a RH box and is thinking of installing slack. Aaron and Brad built 3
Mandrake machines that we use for our CS server, Im prolly leaving out a few
people, but im sure we can get 5 signitures.  If someone wants to email me a
sign up form, ill get the java students to sign it Monday nite, and Tuesday
I can get the Cisco guys to sign as most of the University Gaming club
people are all in my Cisco Class.

Fyi - several uasgc members do get this mailing list so ya might want to
keep that in mind.

Ideas for meetings:     Getting Samba to actually work as a cross platform file
server so we can map to it from windows machines
                        James's old presentations are always worthwile to go
over again.
Iptables, postfix, dhcp et all
                        OS X tweaks
                        Installing and running Apache
                        Linux Wireless
                        Remote access securely (I.e. ssh or vpn access from
campus to a linux box
at someone's house)
                        Distributed computing (? Could be cool if anyone knows
how to do this)
                        Clustering
                        Desktop tweaks (such as those found
http://www.tasavur.com/linux/index.html)