[juneau-lug] April Meeting

  • From: "Juneau Linux User's Group" <jlug@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:02:00 -0900

Copied from www.juneau-lug.org, updated today.

If anyone has content for the lug page, please let me (James Zuelow) know,
and I'll work it in.  I've been threatening pages on installing Debian on a
Sharp PC-8700 laptop & an IBM 6015 PowerPC workstation.  After I get some
tests out of the way this month I'll try to get them up.  If you have a
project you're working on we have 5MB of space with our current hosting
solution (Jim Barber's extra GCI web page).  I can set up a virtual host on
my web server if we get more content than that.

If you have any additions/corrections to the web page, mail a note to me
directly or you can just reply to this message.  Note the members page is
seriously out of date.  (If you want to help maintain the web page, that
would be cool too.)

We need to set a date for the April meeting.  We can choose another day of
the week if Saturday is not convenient for everyone.  Sunday or Friday
night?

----------

JLUG - News
18 March 2002:

Our March meeting on Saturday the 16th covered a basic intro to iptables and
firewalls by James Zuelow, and a demonstration of the Webmin graphical
administration tool by Chuck Hakari. A lot of new introductions were made,
with several "new" members present at a meeting for the first time (although
everyone was already subscribed to the mailing list).
The general discussion before & after the presentations was mainly centered
on introductions and experience levels with Linux, as well as some insight
into system administration generated by the Webmin presentation.
Suggested topics for the April meeting are (so far):

* A demo of Cisco IOS by Toby Harbanuk.
* A brief overview & demo of Apache by James Zuelow.

- both of these will rely on a projector. The one available for the March
meeting was only capable of projecting an 800x600 display, which caused
problems for the Webmin presentation. If anyone has access to a 1024x768 (or
better) projector, please let us know on the mailing list.

* If you have a favorite Linux topic, and would like to give a presentation,
please join the mailing list and we will schedule you. You do not need to be
a professional public speaker - our meetings are very friendly and informal.
If you have a laptop and want to show slides or follow along, we can attempt
to borrow a VGA compatible screen projector.

Club business for April:
* Agenda for May, club officers, recruiting new members, suggestions.
* The club library will be available. A complete list of available titles is
available by clicking on the Library link to the right.
* As the April agenda is worked out, this list may expand.