[juneau-lug] Re: Anyone still around?

  • From: Toby <tobysam@xxxxxx>
  • To: <juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 12:42:57 -0900

I put down $30 each on the vax boxes, and I'm pretty sure that I'm the only
person who ever popped one open and/or started it up. At least no one ever
moved them from where I left them for the past couple of months.

The starmax is open firmware. The problem I'm having is getting the keyboard
encoding right so that I can actually operate the installer. I've only spent
about 30 minutes on the project so far (I've been really busy).

The Linux class started with an introduction to what unix is in general,
then progressed through a brief history, talked about some of the religious
wars, and then we started working with BASH. We've done some simple BASH
scripting so far, and at the same time have gotten an unstanding of how the
file system works and where various things are and what they do. We just
started playing around with SuSE 7.3 and KDE. The goal of the class is to
get students to the point at which they can install and configure a linux
box, and perform simple troubleshooting. The instructor (Dr Juan Rivero) has
made one or two mentions about an "advanced unix class" as well. I've been
really happy with it so far.

Toby