[juneau-lug] Re: Another dumb email question

  • From: Jas <katmandu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:03:58 -0800

Jamie wrote:

>The situation: I work with a non-profit that has officers all over the
>place.  I'm building a centralized membership database.  The newsletter
>editor in NY wants a zip sorted list of mailing labels.  The president
>in Virginia wants to add a new person.  The advocacy chair in Georgia
>needs a phone number.  The treasurer in Maryland needs to record dues
>payment and send them an acknowledgment email.  My current design has
>the same app going to everyone and duties may overlap.  Therefore anyone
>might need to send an email to acknowledge dues payment or a
>contribution.  And I want to automate that.  Got a better idea?

It sounds like what you really need is a groupware product rather than
an e-mail client.  There are several out there, some of which are free
even.  Check out what TUCOWS (www.tucows.com) has for listings, as a
start point.

>I currently running postfix to receive my own mail.  Guess I'm not sure
>what it takes to set up smtp for outgoing mail.  Maybe I'm already
>running it?

Check out this link:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO.html