[juneau-lug] Re: Another dumb email question

  • From: Jas <katmandu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:09:15 -0800

Jamie wrote:

>I want to distribute an app I'm making that can send an email.

I'm not sure I want to know what the application does, but it sounds
nefarious. ;)

>Who can
>I use for a host?  Is there a universal host?  Or what is the best way
>to do this.

To be a nice "network neighbor," YOUR application should use whatever
e-mail gateway YOU are normally authorized to use.  Better yet, if this
is going to be a high-traffic application, set up your own e-mail server
to service its needs.

Depending on what the app does (for example, if it does something you'd
rather not have immediately traced back to you), you could always use an
open relay.  I mean, if you're already "coloring outside the lines" anyway.

.... http://www.ordb.org ....

Not to imply that's the case, of course.

>Most ISP's require a user account for out going mail.  I suppose I can
>require my users to fill in their own IPS's smtp server.  This is a
>windows app.  Any way to dertermine their smtp server automatically?

You could use JavaScript to determine what they have set as their SMTP
gateway.  Check out www.javascriptsource.com for both Internet Explorer
and Netscape/Mozilla examples.

On the same site are other scripts for determining which browser the
user is running, handy for redirecting them to web pages with JavaScript
appropriate for their specific web client.

If they're using another browser, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Jas