[juneau-lug] Re: ACS DSL linux setup

  • From: Kevin Miller <millerboys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juneau-lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 08:40:51 -0800

Jamie wrote:
> Can't connect to the internet.
>
> Friend just got DSL.  Put a nic in his old win98 box.  Used the supplied
> cd from ACS and made it work.  Yea!  Fast connection.  Boo - slow machine.
>
> Bought a surplus machine and installed Mandriva 2006.  It auto-connected
> on my home LAN.  Downloaded and installed all the updates and took him
> the box.
>
> Used the wizard and selected PPP over ethernet and set his user name and
> password.  ifconfig showed eth0 with an address at 192.168.1.47 and ppp0
> had an address of 209.x.x.x.  But couldn't ping anything.
>
> Re-booted to Knoppix and used its pppoeconf util and gave it the same
> info and accepted the defaults.  Same result.
>
> ACS help was not.  I haven't set up DSL before, but didn't expect a
> problem.  What have I missed/messed?
>
> 1) My LAN connection left some config files set?  But the clean Knoppix
> boot had the same problem.
> 2) Bad username / password?  We called ACS to double check, but is there
> a way to tell?  See an error message or monitor the line.
> 3) ADSL choice was wrong?  What then.
> 4) What does a working DSL ifconfig show - should I expect 2 ports eth0
> & ppp0?
> 5) Some additional command needed to "up" it?
>
> Any help appreciated.  It was a frustrating afternoon.
> Thanks

The last DSL I set up, the Paradyne modem/router they gave us had four
internal ports and the external.  It acted as the router/firewall/modem,
etc.  I just dropped it in place, and was able to web to it to define
the internal network - didn't want DHCP although could have left that
intact.  This was with Windows, not Linux, but at layer 2 it shouldn't
matter.

Long story short, all we had to do was just give the workstations an IP
address and a default gateway. Didn't have to do anything with pppoe
because the Paradyne unit handled all that.  You might get better
performance if you choke the MTU size on the inside since the
modem<->acs pppoe link will be.  I've meant to try it, but have never
gotten around to it.  ACS recommended 1460.

HTH...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller