[jos64] Re: PPP question

  • From: Jolse Maginnis <jmaginni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jos64@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:47:54 +1100

Hi Dave,

> I'm doing some experiments, trying to connect my 128 to my Win2k box with a
> PPP connection over a null modem.  So far, I am able to do this using JOS,
> but not with The Wave.
>
> Does JOS initiate the PPP negotiation process, or does it wait for the
> server to start?  I get the sneaky feeling that JOS's ppp implementation
> starts the process, while The Wave sits there waiting.
>
> And, does anyone know what string of bytes needs to be sent to start
> negotiation?

Yeah Jos does start the process, and even has a retransmission timer
now, which it never used to. The string of bytes to start a negotiation
is a ppp packet, so it's not really something you can do by hand, but
I'm guessing somehow you can get windows ppp to start the negotiation.
Wouldn't have a clue how to do it though!

BTW to use higher baud rates, you can set it using:
term -b baudrate

Not every rate is supported, but the main ones are (with T232),
particularly 57600 and 115200.
If you don't need to use the term program to type anything, you can make
it exit straight away with say:

term -b 115200 < /dev/null

While I'm here, there's a bug in tcpip.drv which causes it to back out
when doing "netstat", and it's fixed now so get the new tcpip.drv at:

http://jos.sweetcherrie.com/download/files/tcpip.drv

Jolse