[jos64] Re: PPP question

  • From: richard balkins <wildstar128@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jos64@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:22:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Dave R." <watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm doing some experiments, trying to connect my 128 to my Win2k box with a
> PPP connection over a null modem.  So far, I am able to do this using JOS,
> but not with The Wave.
>
> Does JOS initiate the PPP negotiation process, or does it wait for the
> server to start?  I get the sneaky feeling that JOS's ppp implementation
> starts the process, while The Wave sits there waiting.
>
> And, does anyone know what string of bytes needs to be sent to start
> negotiation?
Wildstar:

Well, as far as I know on Microsoft systems during a dial-up "networking"
connection the user system at some point starts the sequence.

I believe that duplicating the string of bytes/bits should take care of the
initiation process. I believe that this is the possible scenerio. The Server
(Host) system usually waits for a sequence of bit to determine what protocols
your (User/Client) system is using. Since there is SLIP and there is PPP. I
believe there are some other protocols, but the Server has to know what
connection protocols you want. This could be the case with the Win2K system
your using. I assume that it is the Server (Host) system. I doesn't know what
your C-128 wants,basicly I guess. (With WAVE, your c-128 may be expecting the
Win2K (Host) system knows what you want and proceeds with the process). With
JOS it simply tells the (HOST) what it wants, if I am understanding your
question.

Jolse can clearify what is going on.

=====