[jos64] Re: Jos to merge with CLiPS - WiNGS!

  • From: Jolse Maginnis <jmaginni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jos64@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 04:10:28 +1100

Hi !,

> I'm very interested in your decision to merge JOS and
> CLiPS. Both are very powerful and flexible, and the CLiPS
> GUI looks fantastic. So I hope you don't mind a few
> questions  ;)
>
> Is it accurate to say that you intend to marry the CLiPS
> GUI with the JOS core? If so where does that leave the
> original JOS GUI?

That's quite accurate, but most of the Jos GUI code will be retained, as
it doesn't deal directly with look or feel, so it's more that the CLiPS
look and feel will be migrated over. But what we'll be doing is
discussing each of ideas on how to implement everything, but most of the
aesthetics will be from the CLiPS side.

> What other parts of CLiPS are good candidates to be
> retained?

I'm not sure how far along CLiPS got at this stage, so that's still to
be determined. But we'll be putting all our ideas together and using the
best ones.

> How do the CLiPS core components differ from JOS and what
> difficulties do you anticipate in weaving them together?
> Does it seem likely that some features will be abandoned or
> superceded for new features?

I don't see any problems, the parts we're weaving together are basically
going to be rewritten after we've decided what the best way to do it is.

> Not long ago you announced your intention to work on a
> version of JOS for the (not yet completed) CommodoreOne
> which would take full advantage of the new system's
> advanced hardware features. What does the new marriage mean
> for prospective CommodoreOne users? Can we safely hope that
> when the CommodoreOne is finally ready WiNGS will be the OS
> of choice for us?

It's my intention to always keep the CommodoreOne in mind when designing
Jos and now WiNGS, in particular the GUI. I think that WiNGS can be the
OS of choice for the C=1, particularly if it gains a lot of support.

> Thank you for your efforts and please keep up the good
> work.

Thanks for your support!
Jolse