[jos64] Re: I've readded DICT to my website

  • From: Greg/DAC <billnacu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jos64@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 23:38:09 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Mitch B. Parker wrote:

> Question for you on this.  Are you just using outgoing sockets to port 80 to
> retrieve the information?

   Basically.  :)

    The source is here:   www.king.igs.net/~billnacu/dict.c

    www.dictionary.com passes the word as a cleartext variable in the URL
query string.  Aka, it's not encrypted (why would it have to be?), so dict
takes the word you want, puts it into the query URL manually, submits the
Query URL to dictionary.com over a TCP connection on port80.
Dictionary.com replies, and JOS captures the response, and runs it through
a very simple html parser. The parser is a standalone jos program called
web. Then it outputs that to the screen, which you can redirect into a
file or you can pipe it to more.

                           Greg\DAC

-
Jos Homepage - http://www.jolz64.cjb.net/