[jobtransit] Initial research into available technology

  • From: "Geoff Sallee" <geoff.sallee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jobtransit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:40:22 -0800

I was doing a bit of preliminary research into what technologies we might be
able to leverage, and here's what I came up with.

Jabber has a spec for video/audio/file transfers called Jingle (XEP-0166)
which is not finalized or standardized currently, but is moving up in the
standardization process. (http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0166.html and
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0180.html)

Telepathy Gabble is a C implementation of Jingle which is free and open
source (LGPL) (http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/).  This seems to be
the most mature library available, but I don't know how useful a C library
will be to us (as we're using a web interface, and I doubt audio/video
connections can work well through old-school CGI calls).  Unless we were to
make a desktop client (or an ActiveX control) that is.

There is an API for Skype, but it seems to be solely for creating plugins
for the Skype client, not accessing the client functionality (but I need to
look into it further to see whether that is truly the case) (
https://developer.skype.com/wiki/Java_API)

So thus far I'm not turning up anything really useful, but like I said this
is preliminary, so I'll keep working on it.  Let's all keeps our eyes peeled
for anything we might be able to use (or license, if necessary).

P.S.
With regards to the Freelists data being freely available for anyone to
browse, there isn't really any functionality provided by Freelists to hide
it or lock it down.  What I am going to try to do is set up a listserv
server (GNU mailman) on my Linux server (kittensmasher.com, down for
maintenance currently) so we can control our content and keep it from prying
eyes.  I hope to have it up this week (gotta make sure I have automated
backups working before I make it live).  I'll keep you guys posted.  Until
then, we can continue to use this mailing list.  I don't think the
communication thus far has been confidential enough to warrant being overly
paranoid.

Regards,
Geoff