[jhb_airlines] Re: tips

  • From: Mr Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:12:01 BST

Back on line and I'd answered the first question in the reply to Frank; having
just come to your own, after.

System on the new one is:
Mobo            ASUS P5B
Processor       INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6700 (2 X 2.67GHZ) 1066MHZ FSB/4MB Cache
Graphics Card   256Mb Geforce 7600GT PCI-Express + DVI + TV Out
Memory          2048 Mb CORSAIR DDR2-667 PCS300
Hard Drive      SATA II 250Gb @ 7200rpm, 8Mb Cache
Hard Drive 2    SATA 11  80Gb @ 7200 rpm, just transferred from my old machine.

Initial economies were on memory and the graphics card. If FSX dictates, and
cash available, I'll increase to 4096 Mb.
On Shep's advice I went for the 7600GT, initially. The top end card was about
£300 extra! He thinks prices will plummet when DirectX X comes out and new
cards have to be produced to use it.

Only significant hitch, so far, apart from not being able to get on line with
anything but this laptop, is second graphics card. The new machine won't
recognise either of my old PCI cards. Getting decent information is extremely
difficult but it looks as though a PCI-Express card will only run with others
of that conformation. Whilst doing a trawl I came across news of Matrox having
launced the 550. This is PCI-E x 1, so I have three of those slots available,
as well as three PCI. The icing on the cake is that the 550 looks to be a
genuine dual head, like my much missed Matrox 400 Dual Head AGP; stil
languishing in a drawer.

Gerry Winskil

NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net