[jhb_airlines] Re: tips

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:29:12 +0100

I tried to find the article you're referring to Bones but couldn't.  Is it
in print rather than online?  Yet I did discover an older article on
FlightSim.com where Shawn Firminger, head of Aces Studio is interviewed.  In
this article he states FSX wil be released as a 32 bit application but
optimised for Vista.  Quote "It is designed to run on legacy XP systems as
well as to take advantage of Windows Vista entertainment features when the
64-bit operating system is finally released to consumers in January 2007."
He goes on to say "Expect to see a Windows XP version released first
followed by an update for Windows Vista sometime after that".

The article dates back some 6-7 months so things may have changed though I
wouldn't hold my breath.  I suspect the "Vista Entertainment features"
refers to DirectX X routines which will be optimised for 64-bit.  In other
words, FSX is potentially a hybrid product. The initial release itself it is
a 32 bit application but where it passes data on for processing, this may be
done in 64-bit.  Whether they will then patch it to full 64-bit is open to
debate.

I don't expect to be getting FSX anytime soon although the temptation is
there.  How long I'll resist "the itch" I don't know.  It's one of those "I
want it but..."

With a fairly mediocre system by todays standards (AMD64 3200, 200Gb SATA
drive, 1Gb Ram, X300 PCI-Express graphics card) I think a new graphics card
comes first. After that it's dependant on finances, waiting on Vista being
among the options under consideration.  Not sure I'll hold out that long
though, depends on reactions to FSX over the next month or so.