[jhb_airlines] Re: report 156

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:56:33 +0100

Thanks for that specific 737 update Kevin. Oddly enough I didn't get =
your
original message but I picked it up in Tom's reply to you.

The candy bar on the ASI does indeed alter with atmospherics - =
particularly
temp and pressure (density altitude). This limit is a TAS value and that =
is
why the bar starts to come down to lower speed values as you climb. =
250kts
IAS at sea level is virtually 250kts TAS but 250kts IAS at FL360 is =
around
450kts TAS!

I must have missed that bit in the docs about VX and VY because I can't
recall it. Best rate of climb is the norm for smaller aircraft and I =
presume
for jets as well but best angle of climb is necessary from time to time =
if
you find yourself at an airfield with high ground around it. I won't =
delve
into this too much though because it always remains a good discussion =
point
for aircrew in pubs - much like the flap/no flap take off argument.. <g> =

Odd.. I've just noticed this email is self correcting spelling errors as =
go along - I'm sure it's never done that before..