[jhb_airlines] Re: report 156

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:22:05 +0100

Speed management is the real key to flying jets. For most of the flight =
you
can ease the workload by letting the autothrottle do all the work - a =
luxury
if you are moving up from turboprops or pistons.

The only thing to remember is that the autothrottle no longer =
disconnects
automatically when you turn off the autopilot (it used to in FS98). You =
have
to manually disconnect it by using the mouse or by pressing CTRL + R =
(you
can also arm the autothrottle by pressing SHIFT + R).

The speeds I am going to quote assume you have set the airspeed =
indicator to
operate in IAS mode rather than TAS.=20

Before take off dial up a speed of 250kts on the panel. After you get
airborne you can then engage the autothrottle and let it manage the =
speed
for you. Once you get above FL100 increase the speed to 300kts - this is
good for a cruise climb but not all aircraft will manage this - some may
settle down around 280kts.

Despite setting 300kts the aircraft will actually be flying faster and
faster as you go higher. As the air gets thinner the ASI will under read
more and more. To stop overspeeding the trick is to switch the speed =
setting
from kts to Mach No as you climb. As you climb above 31,000 ft (if you =
are
going that high) keep an eye on the ASI - especially the Mach No value. =
This
will steadily increase as you climb and when it reaches Mach 0.76 switch =
the
speed display over to Mach Number. The aircraft will now continue to =
climb
at Mach 0.76. Once you have reached your cruising level you can set the =
Mach
cruise speed for the aircraft (usually between Mach 0.82 and Mach 0.86). =
The
ASI will still be reading somewhere in the 250 - 300 kt region during =
this
time but you can ignore this.

Descent is the tricky bit as you need to think ahead quite a bit. Plan =
well
ahead - if you are at FL300 you should be starting down at least 100nm =
from
your destination. The "proper" way to descend is the reverse of the =
climb
but in FS you could get away with switching direct to an IAS descent. =
Just
check your current indicated airspeed. If it is over 300kts then dial up
300kts for the descent but if it is less than 300kts then dial in =
250kts.
You can now leave the speed alone for the whole of the descent down to
FL100. Ignore the fact that some aircraft are so clean that they won't
reduce to these speeds even with the throttles fully shut - this is why =
you
start your descent earlier rather than later. Getting too high and too =
fast
is something that happens in real life too.

Once you are down to FL100 you should be planning your initial approach
procedures. Again it helps to get speeds back early to slow things down =
and
increase thinking time and here I can use a good real life example of =
the
Heathrow procedures. Inbound from the north you will be routed HON WCO =
BNN
and if you are lucky you will be cleared to BNN at FL70 (bottom of the =
stack
so no holding..).

At WCO you should reduce speed to 210kts. BNN is the holding stack for
Heathrow and it is important to get the speed back to 210kts BEFORE you
reach this point. This is the maximum allowed speed for any holding =
pattern.
Once you are cleared from BNN towards the ILS (and usually cleared down =
from
FL70 to 3000ft) reduce speed to 180kts. You will probably need to lower
flaps for this so check the flap schedule for your aircraft - on some it =
may
be Flap 10 but some will be Flap 15. You can stay at 180kts until you =
start
to intercept the ILS.

Once the ILS is active you reduce speed to your approach speed. Again =
check
the aircraft you are flying but with flaps at 20 or 25 you should be =
around
150kts for the early 737's, 160kts for the later 737's and about 170kts =
for
a 747. This is off the top of my head so don't quote me on these figures =
-
they may be slightly less.  In real life we would work out the exact
approach speed depending on the weight of the aircraft and you can do =
this
in FS too - but you should work this out during your pre flight planning =
and
not after you get airborne! It is rather critical in real life because =
the
approach speed can vary greatly from an empty aircraft to a full one. If =
you
try landing an empty aircraft at full weight speeds you'll end up far =
too
fast and will float a good way down the runway.

You can let the autothrottle manage your airspeed on the ILS down to the
point at which you normally switch off the autopilot but you must =
remember
that you need to disconnect it with CTRL + R. What I tend to do these =
days
is let the aircraft settle on the ILS and when everything is nice and =
stable
(flaps are all down and the speed is correct) I turn the autothrottle =
off
early. If you forget to turn off the autothrottle it can be embarrassing =
-
and you don't usually spot it until you come to round out and find the
aircraft isn't slowing down at all. By the time you realise this and hit =
the
disconnect button it is usually too late to land because you are a good =
way
down the runway.

Hope this helps..