[jhb_airlines] Re: pilot Hours Diamond 188

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:51:41 -0000

Not your fault. The autopilot in FS will only track Nav 1 on most =
aircraft -
there is no switch to make it track Nav2. It makes Nav 2 a bit redundant
except if you want to get a cross bearing.

There's a little trick though which may be worth passing on. Tune the =
first
beacon (let's use SAB again) into Nav 1 and get the autopilot to track =
this. Tune Nav 2 to the next beacon (NEW) on your route at the same time =
so
this is already set up. Normally I would then fly towards SAB and when =
about
5nm away I would check Nav2, make sure the needle is centred (by =
altering
the OBS knob) and then read off the radial to the beacon. Next I would =
dial
this into the HDG mode of the autopilot and switch from CRS to HDG
activation. The aircraft will now be on a heading for NEW VOR.

You can now, at your leisure, change Nav 1 to NEW VOR because the =
autopilot
is no longer being controlled by it. Dial the frequency up, centre the
needle again and now you can switch the autopilot back to CRS mode and =
let
it take you to the VOR. Nav2 is now free to set up the next beacon en
route..

If you do this then life becomes a bit easier. If, as happened to you, =
ATC
give you clearance to route direct to the next point you can quickly set
this up in Nav2, centre the needle and then bang the radial into the
autopilot HDG mode. It puts you on the new course quite quickly and you =
can
take your time in sorting the boxes out.

Sometimes I don't engage CRS mode but simply fly the autopilot in HDG =
mode
for a route - alternating from Nav1 to Nav2 as I go.

If the above doesn't make sense I'll try and give you a better example..