[jhb_airlines]

  • From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:08 +0100 (BST)

In my years in Birmingham, Aston went from being a College of Advanced
Technology to a Polytechnic to a University.  Edgbaston was always a
University, albeit a "redbrick" (second division) one.

I'm not sure that inventing lots of new universities has done anything
much except devalue the degree as a qualification. Certainly employers
won't take on anyone without one these days, even for fairly ordinary
jobs, whereas 40 years ago it was an indication of significantly above
average ability.  Science degrees are probably still worth having.  I
don't know - it's only a gut feeling. History will tell us whether we
were "great" in the 21st century as we were in the 19th and early 20th...

Peter