[jhb_airlines] Re: XP Updates

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:22:26 +0000

Time you investigated Linux, Bones ...

Mike L

Bones wrote:
Every time I get the little yellow shield appear on this computer I groan.
XP updates are supposed to make life easy but when they get things wrong it
can be a pain. I had an update fail halfway through it's cycle about six
months ago and it resulted in very odd computer happenings for a while. I
kept getting messages saying that I needed this upgrade but every time I
tried it the same process would run and then fail. It cured itself after a
further update.

Today I got a new update and ran it. It installed six patches on the PC, one
of them being the Malicious Software Removal Tool. Nasty thing this because
as soon as I'd received it the program then tried to remove (or fiddle with)
my firewall software. The result is that the two then started a battle as
the firewall reported that something was hacking into it and was trying to
send a report on this - and at the same time the MS software was trying to
report malicious software on the PC and was sending a report on that too..

No doubt Microsoft will only be happy when it has eventually erased all non
MS software (and most hardware) from everyone's machine. This will come one
step closer with Vista which will not allow any uncertified drivers to be
installed on your PC - so goodbye to any video driver updates unless NVidia
pay MS a pile of money to get certified status.

Truth is that when you move over to Vista does everyone feel happy with
dumping their AV and firewall programs and letting MS take control of
security? I'm not..

http://fsaviation.net