[jhb_airlines] Re: XML gauges

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:30:45 +0100

Frank,
Glad you've solved it.I
've only used Notepad, so can't comment on alternatives. Eventually I came to rely on the occasional refusal of an edited xml file to appear; regarding it, positively, as an error trap. The difficulty is in spotting the error! It takes very little to prevent it becoming an acceptable .xml.
In extremis I took to using an existing, but simple, xml file, as my starting point. Having copied it to the name of my choice, I'd proceed to edit it, one step at a time. When, not if, it failed, I at least had a narrower suspect field to examine.
By far the most effective way of avoiding these frustrations is the one I now rely upon; I've stopped fiddling. For the moment at least.

Gerry Winskill

FrankTurley@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 09/09/2006 09:00:51 GMT Daylight Time, gwinsk@xxxxxxx writes:

    Try it with one of the existing .xml files out of FS9, Gauges.
    Just double left click on the gauge and it should appear in xml
    format,
    which always confuses me as to why it looks like a web page. Place
    the
    cursor anywhere over the page and, on mine, a right click produces a
    popup panel that includes, half way down, the option View Source.
    That's
    the one that gives you the Notepad version.
    If a right click doesn't produce the popup then I'm out of ideas;
    sorry.

Gerry,
I've realised what's happening here, you have the XML Editor selected as the default for opening XML files, and I have Notepad. If I open an XML file with the XML Editor, I get the display you describe, it appears in an Internet Explorer window. As you say, a right click and selecting source gets you into Notepad.
However, I guess if you get the syntax wrong then the XML Editor will refuse to open. What puzzles me is why they call it an Editor, when it doesn't let you edit. I'm wondering if there's a switch somewhere which you need to operate, it would be good if it picked up syntax errors.
Frank T.