[jhb_airlines] Re: XML gauges

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:42:06 +0100

Frank,
I use Notepad. With the .xml file displayed on the screen, in xml format, right click on it and take the option Display Source, or something. This brings up a text file that you can edit. When you've finished editing, save it as a text file then, to the name, add .xml and save again.

Hope that makes sense.

PS I didn't know I had an xml editor on the system.

Gerry Winskill

FrankTurley@xxxxxxx wrote:

When you finally get something to work its mixed emotions, happiness that it works, and then kicking yourself for not getting it right sooner!
I have been wrestling for a week now, trying to get a digital RPM gauge to work. Try as I might, I just couldn't spot what was wrong. I had been using Notepad to edit the file.
I finally concluded that there must be a hidden character in the file, so I thought I would try and use something else to look at it. When I right clicked on the file, and got the Open With prompt, I spotted XML Editor. I didn't even know I had one of these!
Having selected XML Editor, the file refused to open, but it did give me a helpful error message. Armed with that information, using Notepad I looked at what it was complaining about, and sure enough, there was a missing pointy bracket. I added said bracket and saved the file. XML Editor liked the edited file and displayed it.
Back to FS9, selected the aircraft with the gauge, and bingo, there it was. Hooray!
Please can I ask all XML scribes what they use for file editing please? The XML File Editor only appears to display the file, without allowing edits. Or am I missing something again?
Frank T.