[jhb_airlines] Re: Why is FPI/ATOC so bad?

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:48:49 +0100

Good to hear of the increased UK controller numbers. I guess us wot fly need to make sure we give you all something to do, so we need to keep an eye on Servinfo.

My system seems to be fairly stable just now. It can't be a coincidence, though, that the few FS9 lockups I do get are exclusively when I'm on FPI. no idea why.

I jumped in to Mike's test session, later on, last night. We could see each other, and in the Flightplan designated aircraft. One other oddity was apparent last night, though it often seems to crop up. When Mike was in the bells and whistles B747, it appeared with undercart raised. When he switched to a Default FPI B 747 the undercart was realistically down.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx

Bones wrote:

I must add that I now have my own problems sorted.

I haven't used ATOC for a long time so it was no surprise when I logged in
last night to help Phil that I encountered some problems. I was surprised
how long FS froze after hitting the Server button and then, when it finally
jumped back into life, I could see no aircraft. Denis and Phil appeared on
the TCAS OK - and they both appeared as yellow dots in the airfield diagram
- but visually there wasn't a sausage.

I had a tinker with a few settings but eventually found the solution when I
checked the firewall logs. For some reason it had started blocking port
15201. I reset the firewall to clear all FS9 rules and then tried again.
This time it worked and I watched an FPI 747 depart from Gatwick. I followed
it at a safe distance up to 4000ft and then disengaged to the north - my
apologies to the VBA pilot if he got worried.

The only small problem left is that FS9 locks when I turn off the Server
button but I can live with that. It may be something to do with the MS test
software I have installed.