[jhb_airlines] Re: Why is FPI/ATOC so bad?

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:20:52 +0100

The only point I will add is that I think FPI is going through a slight
change at the moment (as it did two years ago) and things are not as smooth
as they used to be. Having said that I also think that when they sort
themselves out life will get better.

The server problem probably results from the connection with the West Coast
servers and the subsequent withdrawal from that plan. We've lost a couple of
European servers in the process but I'm hopeful that this will get sorted
out. This brief partnership has also put a lot of work on the FPI team and I
suspect it is why other matters have taken a back seat. The intended revamp
of their web site is behind schedule (not a great event in my eyes) but also
the intended update of some of the software.

I know that a full revision of the VA packages was in the pipeline but it
was hinted at the time that other changes were in the works too. Maybe this
was driven by the West Coast alliance but if so the rewrites will now need
changing again to remove anything that was related to the joint venture. At
some stage in the near future I do expect to see new FPI files appearing
though - hopefully our JHB repaints being in these.

The other ray of sunshine for the UK is the growing number of controllers.
This week we had six on line and we could have had eight if Alan and Kevin
had the time to join in - both briefly connected to the ATC channel for a
chat. With this level of ATC the future is looking good for the UK -
probably the best area for growth in the whole FPI network. The appearance
of the VBA (Vee Bird) crews from VATSIM has also pushed up our traffic
levels a notch. Oddly enough I think one problem for future sessions may be
too many controllers and not enough positions for them to man..

With the last comment in mind I am going to voice the need for a review of
UK airspace in the UK FPI forum. The actual software limits us to the
positions we can use - EGTT_CTR, EGLL_APP but we can't use EGLL_TMA. As the
UK gets busier it is simply too much work for London Centre to vector
traffic around the London area and keep an eye on aircraft say up near
Newcastle. I know we have EGTT_N_CTR and EGTT_S_CTR but even with these a
controller can't spread his eyeballs out between Southend and Exeter as we
tried last week. The London TMA involves a lot of vectoring and I think we
need to have this position established now - before it too busy to do
anything about.