[jhb_airlines] Re: Why is FPI/ATOC so bad?

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 04:52:17 +0100

You seem to have had more of a rough time than most of us recently. I admit
I only tend to plug in once a week but that is usually for a solid 3.5 to 4
hours. I've had one or two hiccups but nothing so bad as to raise the
frustration levels too much. Yep - I did have one night a few weeks back
when I was being kicked off every hour or so but it hasn't been a recurring
theme.

If you are thinking of trying VATSIM then you will indeed have a lot more
traffic and controllers to contend with - but the level of simulation is
also much higher too. VATSIM stick to real world procedures so you really
have to know the airfield layouts, the SID's and STAR's (current ones too)
and have good cockpit management skills. Having said that it is a challenge
that some may relish as you know you will be mixing it with a lot of real
world airline pilots.

There is no doubt that some of you will outgrow FPI. It hasn't evolved as
much as your own skills - a pity as I had hoped it would have grown a lot
more since we first started using it - and I am sure this lack of
development will make some feel they are missing out on better things.
Before jumping in the deep end with VATSIM though I'd recommend extending
your experience outside the UK. If European controllers are online in FPI
then get some useful foreign experience under your belt. I know it can be
reassuring to speak to a familiar team in the UK but it's best to build up
experience. Europe in FPI (or even further) is a small step compared with
jumping in the deep end which is VATSIM.