[jhb_airlines] Re: Where Can I Go Next?

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:48:44 +0100

That was good thinking from your flying instructor.

All light aircraft come as standard with a full blind flying panel and most
have a reasonably good radio stack. FS emulates this quite well but in doing
so it results in the panel taking up a huge amount of your screen. FS4 had
about 50% of the screen for the panel but later versions have seen it
encroaching more and more with 66%-75% being about average for FS2004 panel
area.

The disadvantage of this is that FS users think the large panel is there to
be used, permanently leave it on and have rather pathetic outside visual
reference. I tend to turn it off as much as possible and usually hit W to
fly with the limited dial set and a sensibly big outside view.

For most PPL's the blind flying panel is hardly used. Flying is taught using
visual clues for pitch and roll, your bum for sideslip (or them funny canals
in your ears). The only essential dials are the ASI and Altimeter and, if
you've got the aircraft trimmed correctly (something drummed into you very
early on) even these need only a cursory glance. 95% of the time your head
is up and looking out of the cockpit.

A PPL is trained only for visual flight so the full panel is mostly
redundant. In the 1970's you were given just one hour on instruments but it
was more to show how difficult it was - and hopefully to stop pilots from
deliberately flying into cloud and coming out again in little pieces. Over
subsequent years the time allocated for instrument flight has increased but
only enough to show pilots how to stay upright if they wander into the
fluffy white stuff and then make very gentle turns to get out of it again.

In FS the aircraft are so stable that pilots don't think twice about flying
in cloud - and most pilots have the autopilot on anyway. Put them in a real
aircraft, in cloud and with no autopilot and they wouldn't last very long.
If you don't believe me then next time you fly an ILS in low cloud turn the
autopilot off and do it manually - the skill differential is about the same.
That is the rub with FS - it gives you all the automatics and most people
use them, never really learning true stick and rudder flying but thinking
they are becoming good pilots.

I was taught a little trick by my instructor which I have used on a few real
pilots to show them how limiting the human sense of balance is. In each case
I was greeted with some scepticism but, in each case, the pilot followed my
instructions and very nicely turned the aircraft upside down THINKING THEY
WERE STILL IN LEVEL FLIGHT (at least they would have inverted had I not
stopped them). Ancient Chinese proverb - Eyeballs good, senses bad - but
eyeballs bugger all use in cloud.

Truth is that most light aircraft aren't stable at all. A few are but most
have had a long career, suffer minor rigging distortion and are known to fly
left wing or right wing low. That doesn't mean they fly at an angle but that
there is a minor but constant tendency to roll in one direction. Only slight
stick pressure is needed to stop this but a pilot with his head indoors for
a few seconds won't notice the wing has started to drop. Whether fiddling
with the radio or checking a map it can be quite disconcerting to look up
and see the aircraft in a steep turn. Such aircraft need constant pilot
input - something else that FS doesn't mimic. Actually, having said that I
know one exception and that is my Tiger Moth which needs slight but constant
rudder pressure to fly a steady heading - as does the real aircraft.

If you are flying in FS (autopilot off) and close your eyes for a minute,
answer the phone or go look for a book next door chances are the aircraft
would still be bumbling along when you got back. Close your eyes in a real
aircraft for 60 seconds and I doubt you would like the view when you opened
them again - and 60 seconds would be way too long for some aircraft. Chances
are that you would most likely be in a high speed spiral dive by then. The
Mk.1 Eyeball rules in flying.