[jhb_airlines] Re: Where Can I Go Next?

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:26:17 +0100

Going back to your earlier posting, you mentioned that realism extended to you physically turning, as in real life. Going back a couple of years when, you may remember, Rory had his wife video him, whilst using his five view screen setup. The thing that most impressed me about the video was the sight of Rory leaning forward and left, to look at the Left screen, placed where the real life view would have been.
Still seems the ultimate system but only someone in the trade could access five computers and five screens!
Think of the heat in last month's conditions, from five PCs!

It's an interesting development for Matrox because their Parhelia video card
has triple output (and the G500 I had before it was dual output). Sadly I
don't have room for a second (or third) monitor so this function has never
been tested out. If more than one monitor is present you have the options of
Independent View, Clone View or Stretch View - which just about covers
everything you might need for FS work.

For us space restricted users the TrackIR is the better option - just one
big monitor and a funny hat and off you go. I say big monitor because wider
screens require more head movement edge to edge and that is better for the
performance of the sensors. For those with room for more than one monitor
the Triple Head box is possibly the stronger contender. Operation needs no
learning curve or silly hat.

My only reservation with the multi monitor setup is that, spatially, your
head is still locked to the sim - in other words your viewpoint is locked to
the aircraft's orientation. When you bank the aircraft I therefore presume
that the horizon tilts across all monitors. That's not a problem - but what
if you look left and right? Again, without having any experience on multi
monitor sets, my assumption is that if you turn left and then look out to
the left you will be staring down at the ground - and looking right will
just give you a nice view of the sky. To see the horizon in each case would
you still have to resort to panning up or down? With TrackIR you would only
need to tilt your head slightly.

Of course I have to say that really flash users would buy both. A three
monitor setup with TrackIR would be really the bee's knees.