[jhb_airlines] Re: What's the squiggle?

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:24:43 -0000

Riven wasn't liked by a lot of original Myst fans but I thought it was =
good.
Puzzles were tricky and I had to resort to UHS to get through a couple.

I liked Exile even more because it was a well structured plot and =
extremely
good graphics. Full 360 rotation from any spot and some realistic
animations. The ages you had to explore were all very different too with
some really tricky puzzles.

Uru was a watershed in that it was a full 3D world. You no longer jump a
frame at a time but have complete movement everywhere. Uru is slightly =
odd
in that it was originally designed to be a huge interactive online game =
but
that idea was dropped after it ran for several months. The original game =
is
good to play - still quite well structured and lots to explore but the
extended versions - the To D'ni pack (free to download) and the Path of =
the
Shell both lose their structure a bit. I was a bit lost on these until I
found the sole link in Uru that took you into the new ages. Despite this =
the
game was still a challenge and the D'ni cavern absolutely huge to =
explore.

Revelation is the last version to come out and is strange if you have
already played Uru as it goes back in time to when Yeesha is a =
youngster. It
also reverts to the system used in earlier versions of jumping to a =
position
and having a 360 degree view from this before moving to the next fixed =
spot.
I got used to this after a while but I missed the full freedom of Uru. =
As
always the worlds are superbly crafted and some are really beautiful. =
One
big change in Revelation is the introduction of a lot of wildlife =
animation
- you are no longer alone. You have to interact with some to progress in =
the
game..

Apart from FS the Myst games are the only PC games I have bought. They =
seem
to fit my logical and somewhat devious mind.. I've tried a few demos of
others like Doom, Ages of Empire and Sim City but none have persuaded me =
buy the product. I obviously prefer adventure games to strategy despite
these being on the slide in the sales ratings.