[jhb_airlines] Weight Poser

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:21:36 +0100

Having installed the Bones Weight gauge in the Dash 8 Q400, I was surprised to find it overweight by about the same amount as its empty weight. A closer look showed the panel displaying max allowable all up weight as 64 lbs! The gauge works perfectly in all other aircraft. A check on the Aircraft.cfg file showed

max_gross_weight=64,500                       // (pounds)
empty_weight=37,888                           // (pounds)

A check on other aircraft's aircraft.cfg showed they didn't utilise the comma, to identify the ooo break. I illiminated the commas, reloaded and the weight gauge now gave sensible readouts.
Feeling quite smug, I took off from Belfast City......well, not quite. It wouldn't accelerate past 59kias, in the runway available. Reloading the a/c made no difference. Substituting for another a/c, in a saved in-flight situation, saw it rapidly slow to below stall speed, on max thrust.

Back to the aircraft.cfg. Re insert the commas. Aircraft now performs as it should.

Any bright ideas?

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx